Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Years Eve & Mackers for dinner

NYE 2010.
I have a very specific tradition as to how my New Years goes. It starts with getting all dolled up for a classy dinner with my friends, and then we head out to some one’s house to celebrate. It’s been that way since my sophomore year of high school.

That being said this year was different, much different. Not only am I in a foreign country, but also the friends I celebrate NYE with are all at home. I didn’t even get a chance to ask what they did, or is that will do? The time change is really beginning to get to me. It is also strange for me because I didn’t receive hundreds of ‘happy new years!’ texts. I used to see them as trivial, but I miss the acknowledgement from my family and friends.

I crave to know that I am in their thoughts with the coming of a new year. I like to think that they are thinking of me and waiting for my arrival home. I haven’t thought much about home since coming here. It crossed my mind on Christmas after Skyping home, but other than that I’ve blocked the thoughts out of my mind. I know it will only make me sad.

But New Years Eve is my favorite holiday. It is all about reflecting on the years past, and then deciding how to grow as a person for the New Year to come. Over the past year so much has change. I hadn’t even met Liana at that point in my life, and Madeline and I were just becoming good friends. If you would’ve asked me what I would be doing this time last year I couldn’t even in my wildest dreams have come up with this.

I have skydived, become a vegetarian, and gone to a foreign country. But I think that the greatest thing I did last year was open my heart to new things and new people. I met some of my best friends last year, and couldn’t be more grateful to have them.

Now if you thought all I did on NYE was reflect on last year you must be trippin’. I was in Sydney for Pete’s sake! If you haven’t heard, Sydney is one of the biggest New Years celebrations in the Southern hemisphere. The celebration that takes place in the harbor is compared to that of Times Square in New York City.

I’ve never been to NYE in NYC, but from my own experience down under I would believe that it couldn’t get much crazier. The harbor was packed. There were over 1.5 million people attending the celebration in the harbor alone. Thankfully Liana and Erin talked to a bus driver who informed us that we needed to get to the harbor before it was closed off; which was around 4. We found this out at 2:45.

Now, normally it doesn’t take me that long to get ready, but this was New Years Eve! I couldn’t bring in the New Year looking like I do every day. I firmly believe that one should always look their best for a fresh start, and that’s exactly what New Years Eve is all about. It’s a way to say goodbye to last year’s regrets, and to start over for a better future. I’m still amazed that everyone got ready with just enough to caught a cab and make it the harbor before they closed the gates.

We were obviously rushed, and because of that we didn’t pack anything. No cards, no music, no blankets or towels. The girls and I had to entertain ourselves for 5 hours before the kid’s fireworks were set off at 9. We people watched, took mug shot pictures of ourselves, played Never Have I Ever, and just about any other thing you can think about to entertain us for that time.

When the fireworks finally did come they were spectacular. Now, fire works are fireworks, but when you are surrounded and every direction you look you see fireworks it’s a pretty cool thing. It was unfortunate that we had such a crappy spot. We got trapped behind a tree, so once the fireworks were done Liana and Madeline went on an excursion to find a new spot. Looking back on it now we all should’ve just gone together.

The crowd was ridiculous, and it moved at about a half a mile an hour, if that. We ended up standing, getting pushed around, creeped on, and trying to keep sane for the next three hours in anticipation of the countdown fireworks.

NYE made me really reflect on what I’ve achieved in 2012. I realized the most important lesson of all, Maddie and Liana are the two best friends anyone could have. I wish gay marriage was legal in Missouri. Someday. (Compliments of Liana Neri; I promised I wouldn’t change or delete. Sorry for the random thought.)


Let me just say the fireworks were fantastic. They lit up the sky all around us, and the fact that they were being launched off of national landmarks was pretty cool as well. Even though I didn’t know the people standing around me (besides the girls) it was nice to bring in the New Year with some many people. Our desires for the New Year are all different, but that doesn’t change the fact that we are embracing the new.

We originally thought that it would take us hours to get out of Circlular Quay; the area in between the bridge and the opera house. Surprisingly it took more like ten minutes if that. After we made it out of the harbor area we headed back to the hotel. What can I say, we’re old farts who just need sleep. Well, the majority of us did, and we overruled. I was completely fine with the decision. After all Madeline, Liana, and I had an early flight to catch in the morning.

Cheers, mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment