Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lasts


Today marks the last flight that the three of us will be on in a long time. It also marks the last flight where mine and Madeline’s destination is in Australia.

The weather in Port Douglas was great aside from the humidity. I think I speak for the three of us when I say we are happy to head back to Melbourne. It was rough saying goodbye to Dougie’s. I don’t think any of us wanted to leave the hostile. That was harsh. Dougie’s was just fine. We just didn’t embrace the backpacker lifestyle. I actually think I would want to try backpacking later in life. I’ll have to see what opportunities come my way. That being said I will have to stay somewhere with free wifi; I hate not being able to communicate with anyone. Living in the hostile definitely made me appreciate my living conditions now. I love not having to walk outside to go to the bathroom.

After checking out of Dougie’s, the girls and I headed to town in hopes of finding some more souvenirs for our family members. Luckily we all found some stuff. I can’t wait to see my family’s faces when they open up their presents. We also grabbed some lunch while we were in town. We went to Mocka's Pie Shop and got pies for lunch. For those of you yanks reading this, it isn’t a pie like we think of. These pies are made from a crispy crust and are full of meats and vegetables. It was actually pretty good. My vegetarian pie had pumpkin, spinach, and cheese in it. I would recommend that everyone try a Mocka's pie, they are ‘world famous’ after all.

They were surprisingly filling for the size they were. I didn’t think I would leave in the restaurant feeling as full as I did. I was in the perfect condition to go for a dip. Instead of going back to our humble abode, Liana scoped out a pool at the Seaside Port earlier this week. She found the perfect entry point, so we tried it. What could they do? Kick us out. If anything we would be right back where we started.

Sneaking into Seaside was one of the best decisions we could’ve made. The pool didn’t have a single leaf or other unknown debris floating in it, and it was huge. The pool even had a small slide and swim up bar. Not that we used the bar. We didn’t want to get caught with a fake room number, or foot someone else with our bill. It was still nice to relax in such a classy establishment, but at four it was time to head back to Dougie’s.

We trotted back to Dougie’s, changed into our spare clothes, and got ready for the shuttle to come pick us up. Madeline and I ran around taking pictures of the place before we had to leave. I’m not sure we’ll ever forget the place, but if we ever find the need to reminisce over our Dougie’s memories we want pictures. As strange as it is to admit I think I’m going to miss the hostile. We had some funny moments there. We had numerous awkward social encounters with Canadians, bartenders, and our scuba instructor.

That being said I can’t wait to be back at Liana’s house. We’ll be landing soon.

Cheers, mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment